Monday, April 3, 2017

#2 Primary or intermediate vaccine storage facility showing vaccines in storage – show a vial with VVM (CHINDO AHMAD)


Chindo Ahmad Supportive Supervision Experience.



Routine Immunization (R.I) vaccine in VVM stage 2





Immunization Plus Days bOPV Vaccine in VVM stage 1



Observation:

Above are two different VVM stages of vaccine supplied by NW zonal cold store to one of the states under it in Nigeria as their allocations for both R.I and campaign purposes. the first picture is a vial from the R.I bOPV vaccine which are all in stage 2 and to be used for a period of 3 months during R.I sessions and outreaches. While the other picture is a vial from 2.7 million doses supplied for 4 days immunization campaign to the same state, same cold store and all are in stage 1.


Recommendation:

When I observed these, the cold chain officer was directed to exchange all the R.I bOPV vaccine in VVM stage 2 with the same quantity from Immunization Plus Days bOPV Vaccine in VVM stage 1 in order to avoid the risk of those R.I vaccines going to stage 3 during the 3 months consumption period.


3 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm missing more information. I thought the RI vaccine vials at stage 2 should be used first during Immunization Plus campaign days (especially at fixed posts and shorter distances/highly populated areas) because they are prone to more damage by high temperature exposure.
    In addition, I understand that the longer they are stored even in the cold chain (especially at service delivery points; +2 to +8 degree centigrade) the more they will continue to change to unusable stage.
    For me the difference in VVM status might be caused by cold chain management problems at the main store which supplied these batch.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the contribution Muhindi.

      However, please, read through the narration again, what you thought is what was proffered as solution;

      The R.I bOPV in VVM stage 2 with 3 months consumption quantity was exchanged for IPDs bOPV in VVM stage 1, which was meant for 4 days immunization campaign.

      Best Regards

      Delete
  2. I agree with your concerns Bovanevntura. We do not have any information on such exposure have had happened with the first photo vaccines. But switching to use these vaccines is a good decision. In order to prevent such things happening again in the future, we need to go down the root of the problem and come up with preventive measures. Cheers UMIT

    ReplyDelete